Friday, December 13, 2013

Hidden Safari




This lesson let me explore the wonders of cool versus warm colors while looking for animals in a wild Safari. First I had to practice writing light, which was easy when I wrote upside down. Then we had the chance to choose our own safari animal, I decided to draw a giraffe. In order to hid the giraffe I had to draw him using a light blue pencil, without pushing to hard. When I had the giraffe perfectly drawn I had to hide him, so I took three warm colors, red, orange, and yellow to help him hide. First I took yellow and made a pattern all the way across my paper with little circle swirls. Then I took orange and make small circles on top of my yellow swirls, by this time my giraffe was starting to become hidden but I could still see him. Lastly I took red and made rectangles at different angles all across my page. The end result was it was really difficult to see the giraffe I had drawn. So I had to write three clues to what I had drawn. Then so I could see my giraffe I had to make special glasses so I could see him. I made glasses that had red lenses so that all the warm colors were washed away. When I looked at my giraffe with my classes I could spot him easily. Lastly I hanged up my art with the glasses nearby so people could guess what I had drawn then look through the glasses to see if they were right.
This lesson could easily extended into a social studies lesson about the safari or savannah. After the lesson was given the teacher could talk about the safari and what its temperature and terrain are like and why the animals that live their live there. They could also go into the great contrast of the safari to our cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment